Man caught trying to sell his 10year old newphew in calabar


The sale of young children is silently going on in some parts of Calabar, Cross River State. Even as the State Security Service (SSS) has gotten wind of the disturbing trend and has made arrests, some ‘dealers’ remain on the loose. Before now, it was hardly believable that something beyond the ordinary was happening in the popular settlement called Bogobiri in Calabar South Local Government Area where many Nigerian ethnicities are found. Hausas, Kanuris, Igbos and others from the northern part of Cross River State can also be found living peacefully there.
A lot of trade goes on in Bogobiri, but a handful of illicit ones are bringing the area under the scrutiny of men of law enforcement agencies in the state, because of the booming child-selling business in Bogobiri. Had the SSS not uncovered it last week, everyone would still be going about their business innocently, not knowing that the various cases of missing babies and children in Calabar and other parts of the state are connected with their very area.  The SSS picked up three persons who attempted to sell a ten-year-old called Mfon Bassey on a tip-off from a slighted potential buyer.

The SSS Assistant Director, Operations and Intelligence, Mr. Bassey Ntewo told Weekly Trust that on receiving the information, his men were immediately sent to Bogobiri, where the sale was being concluded. He said his men arrested the key suspect, Emmanuel Asuquo Inyang, 28, who is a  maternal uncle to the abductee, alongside one Malam Dahiru Abubakar who claimed to be a watch-seller. Also arrested was one Musa Mohammed, 35, who was to allegedly buy the boy at N3 million.
Ntewo said the SSS are intensifying investigations for more arrests because intelligence reports confirm that child-selling in the area and in the state is becoming rampant. The SSS boss said Inyang claims to be a dealer in oil palm in Eneneje in Akamkpa local government where little Mfon lives with his sick mother, Mrs. Idongest Etim Ita, a 25-year-old farmer. Inyang, the key suspect reportedly confessed that he actually negotiated with the facilitator, Abubakar who had approached him in Eneneje some two months ago requesting if he had human beings to sell. Inyang said he was shocked when Dahiru approached him with such a demand, but succumbed when they accepted his terms, adding that they settled for N3m for each child.  He said he was asked to bring the ‘goods’ to Bogobiri in Calabar, adding that when he first went there for another negotiation, Mohammed even gave him transport fare.
Speaking in Ibibio, Inyang said: “I had told him (Musa) to give me time, so I can carry out the deal without any suspicion.  So when I brought Mfon to one shop in Gbogobiri, I was directed to a particular shop near where Forex is being traded.  In the shop, I saw many other children of about same age with Mfon.
But when Mohammed came out, he ordered the children to be moved to another section of the house. I did not know the reason. He then brought a big polythene bag containing money. When I saw it, I was afraid and refused to collect.  Surprised at my action, it was then that he said the boy I brought was too small and that they needed an older male.  So, he asked me to wait for him, and that if any other person comes to ask me the price for the boy, I should say it is N5 million instead of N3million.  I did not know that as he was going outside to invite the police.”
Asked why he did not sell his own children instead of his nephew, Inyang blamed his action on greed, pleading for mercy.
Both Mohammed and Abubakar denied knowing Inyang nor were they attempting to buy the ten-year-old boy. Mohammed said: “I am a tailor and have never dealt in a business of this nature all my life. When he entered my shop, I had called the Police because on many occasions I have worked as an informant to the Police to thwart cases of criminality in Bogobiri. I don’t even know him.”
According to Abubakar, he accepted however that he normally travelled to Eneneje a distant of about30 kilometres from Calabar, to hawk his watches to his many customers but that he has never met Inyang before or ever discussed any business of kidnapping children for sale.
Mfon’s mother told Weekly Trust that she’s yet to recover from the shock. “I have been sick for some time now and this development has complicated my problems. I’m very shocked that Emmanuel, my own nephew, can do this to me.”
Head of the Hausa community in Calabar, Alhaji Jaafar Sarki Lawal, also lives in Bogobiri. He said there is nothing like baby or child-selling in the community.  “I have heard about the visits of the SSS, but I am surprised that they are combing my community without my knowledge.  However, I encourage them to carry out their lawful duty and if approached, I would give them my assistance wherever possible.  Let me also say that I do not know those alleged to be involved in this matter, neither am I aware of any trafficking ring in Bogobiri.”
A resident on Bassey Duke Street, Calabar who preferred anonymity, said she was once approached by a man who asked her playfully if she has babies for sale.
Commissioner for Women Affairs in Cross River State, Mrs. Ekama Iwara said the government was interested in issues such as this. “Cases of trafficking continue to come up, particularly on our territorial waters and borders,” she said, adding that in June last year 56 children were rescued and handed over to NAPTIP.

source: newsonline.com

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

MARIAH YEATER GETS DEATH THREATS FROM JUSTIN BIEBER FANS